Thursday, February 17, 2005

Curtin Uni Vice Chancellor Moving On

I heard on the radio this morning that Curtin University Vice Chancellor, Professor Lance Twomey, a nice bloke by all accounts, is retiring. He's been there as long as I can remember. I did meet him once when I made the Vice Chancellor's List. I believe that his fellow academics came together to hear his speech and they may have been expecting to hear "how good it has been to work with you".

It went more along the lines of "50 staff per year will be made redundant" and "unpopular classes, and their staff, will be cut". I bet it didn't go down well. Consider that most lecturers would be earning about $70000 p.a. for their positions.

Fifty staff to bite the dust, eh? Let's see, I'm sure that I could name three or four of them. I saw some dead wood in my time at uni. By heck they take a long time to do anything properly at the uni.

No comments: