Monday, July 04, 2005

Some Observations

Wasted Effort?

I borrowed a DVD of The Alamo last weekend. Not a bad movie. On the back of the DVD it said it was only to be sold in Australia but the subtitles included English, Danish, Estonian, Finnish, Icelandic, Norwegian, and Swedish. I don't really know why they bothered with the subtitles. I have only met one person of Estonian and Finnish descent while in Australia. There isn't a huge call for these languages in Australia.

New Calling

I've almost lost my voice due to a sore throat. I guess that I could get a job in an Indian call centre with the way I sound and decided to make a new message for my answering machine.

Why Do They Bother Saying This?

You watch a show on TV and they tell you "Don't try this at home, kids." Why is it just the kids that they think will try to do something stupid and need to be warned off? Perhaps they should include a warning for drunken yobbos, less-than-intelligent adults and anyone else without enough common sense to know how to behave safely.

Mum Would Be Horrified

Yesterday we put some slabs down in the backyard. I had some music playing from the computer. Just some nice Ace of Base that everyone could listen to. Well, we must have been at work for a while because we got right through the CD then it started playing some Alice Cooper. Mum would be horrified because when the song "Poison" came on Yu-Jin started singing along. I wasn't allowed to listen to any music like that until after I left home and my five year old likes them. C'mon mum, Alice Cooper isn't that bad. His music is ok.

What's In A Name?

I heard last week about the woman who gave birth to a kid that weighed over six kilograms, 14 pounds, and was delivered three weeks early. The first two children that this couple had weighed about 4.7 kg and 5.4 kg. The husband called them, nicknames only I hope, Whopper, Junior Whopper and the Big Enchilada. They said that they didn't plan to have any more children. What a pity. I'm sure that McDonalds would be waiting in the wings with a naming rights deal.

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

Well, that explains a lot! I was wondering who's voice it was on your answering machine. Hope your throat gets better soon.
How anyone can 'like' Alice Cooper is beyond me. How you can call it music beggers belief!
You are correct in your query about why it is only children who are told 'don't try this at home'. There are plenty of 'adults' stupid enough to try it. Hope they don't do it in front of their kids.

Anonymous said...

I watched the original version of The Alamo yesterday. When was the version you watched made, and who starred in it?

Hammy said...

The Alamo version that I saw is pretty recent. It starred Jason Patric and Billy-Bob Thornton. A bit slow at times but probably quite diiferent to your version with John Wayne I'll bet.

Anonymous said...

I doubt it.It may be different, but the original is pretty slow too.Not a lot of oomph either!