Tuesday, August 09, 2005

60th Anniversary of Japanese Atomic Bombs

Great time to plug myself, not top myself - Hammy's Japan/Korea Blog. There's a lot of photos, all links I'm afraid, of my month in Japan and Korea. I guess that I took a lot of pics of the Hiroshima and Nagasaki Peace Parks but I don't know that I went there with a purpose in mind. There was an immense sense of feeling about those places.

I was over in Japan with my mate Wayne during the 51st anniversary of the atomic bombings. We watched the Hiroshima ceremony on TV as we were in Matsue at the time. We visited the Peace Park and Museum in Hiroshima and it sure makes you wonder about the necessity of atomic weapons. Especially their usage on civilian populations.

We were actually in Nagasaki's Peace Park for the ceremony and it was almost an enlightening experience. You have a bit of time for self-reflection and I changed the way I thought about destroying other humans by visiting the places and hearing some of the stories of death, destruction and survival. There was a hell of a lot of it.

Nuclear power doesn't bother me too much but I don't have much time for nuclear weapons. I don't see the point in having something that can destroy so many innocent lives and uses the power of fear to hold one's position.

Japan is a peaceful nation now. It wouldn't necessarily have been the case had the bombs not been dropped but that is not a good enough reason. I hope that the nuclear bomb is never used again.

No comments: