Thursday, February 23, 2006

Quotes From Admiral Yi Sun-shin

I look up to Admiral Yi Sun-shin - Korea's greatest hero. The entry in Wikipedia isn't too long to read and I'll give you some of his quotes. The first two were inscribed on his swords.

Samcheok seocheonsanha dongsaek - As this sword is pledged to the sky, the mountains and the waters tremble. (Meaning [I think] - If I am fighting for you do not fear but, if I am fighting against you you should be full of fear)

Ilhwi sotang hyeohyeom sanha - Once this sword is brandished, the country will run with blood. (Meaning [I think] - Once I go into battle there will be much death as I don't muck about)

The enemy knows me. I must become another me, one the enemy does not know.

The soldier who fights to death never dies, but the soldier who fights for existence never truly exists.

My life is simple, my food is plain, and my quarters are uncluttered. In all things, I have sought clarity. I face the troubles and problems of life and death willingly. Virtue, integrity and courage are my priorities. I can be approached, but never pushed; befriended but never coerced; killed but never shamed.

Do not weep, do not notify my men of my death. Beat the drum, blow the trumpet, wave the flag for advance, we are still fighting; finish the enemy to the last one.

2 comments:

Ben said...

it seems you have your war hero.
As for me I view John Monash as one of the best generals with views well in advance of his time.

Check out some of his quote on:

http://www.awm.gov.au/1918/people/genmonash.htm

They really doesn't sound from the 1918 but from the 1980's.

"The main thing is always to have a plan; if it is not the best plan, it is at least better than no plan at all." John Monash.

Hammy said...

I like it.