Tuesday, February 14, 2006

Happy Valentine's Day

This day never used to be special to me as there was never anyone special to share it with. Trying to get a booking for a restaurant is difficult around Valentine's Day as well, for obvious reasons, but the catering doesn't take children into account either. I was quite happy to take Miky to a fine restaurant tonight, where I could get a booking and the price was almost twice the normal menu price, but I'll be damned if I'll be paying $85 for my kid not to eat anything. Besides, the ambience would be set for couples anyway.

There's a message here for us all. Stay as a couple and you will be catered for. Don't even think about taking kids out on Valentine's Day.

I did have a booking for tonight but Miky said that she didn't want to go out. I felt like a right dick ringing up to cancel a booking for Valentine's Day. What must the staff member think? Probably along the lines of 'He's stuffed up big time' or "He's obviously been jilted/dropped, etc'. Not true. At least I can feel much better about going out later in the week, having a good time and not spending quite so much money.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Valentines day is a funny beast.. I guess the stage Im at now is just trying to avoid it in general, not being in a relationship I fear telling somebody "happy valentines day" may give them the wrong idea....

Anonymous said...

What is all the Hoo Ha about, anyway. we should tell our sigificant other we love and appreciate them every day. I wouldn't worry about what they may or may not think/say about your cancelation. Could be any number af reasons for it. Great day for the florists, eh?

Hammy said...

I hear you Tom. Those words should only be uttered to those that you really care about. I wouldn't use them when answering the phone, particularly.