Tuesday, February 07, 2006

The Mother Of All Spiders

Don't know whether it was a female or not but it scared me. On Friday night we went out for tea to Chi Restaurant in Vic Park to celebrate a pay rise for me. The steamed chicken and vegies was not flash but the pepper squid was lovely. It was a warm night and driving home I had my window down. A short time later I noticed a spider on my wing mirror and boy did I wind my window up quickly. It was a whacking great Huntsman spider and must have been at least 12cm across. All the way home it sat on the wing mirror and once we reached home it ran onto the car roof and back down the windscreen.

I have never seen one so big. It was a beautiful thing and I didn't feel like killing it. What concerns me is where it came from and just what did it eat? Either it lives on my car somewhere or it just happened to pay me a visit while in Vic Park. Man, it looked like it could eat birds for all I know.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I think some of them do eat small birds.

Anonymous said...

I have oft seen huntsmen living in and around peoples' cars.