Friday, November 25, 2005

Greetings From Nagasaki

Hi Everybody. Japan is a blast. We have been staying with a friend in Fukuoka for a few days. Yesterday was really busy with a trip to Yusentei Koen which is a private park. The Autumn leaves, garden and koi were amazing with the colours truly spectacular. In the arvo we ventured to Dazaifu to Komyozenji and Dazaifu Tenmangu. I will post pictures later of the wonderful garden at Komyozenji. I will also give you the story of how I got us onto the wrong train and what happened.

Today after spending the day shopping (have to humour the missus a little bit), we jumped on a train to Nagasaki to visit some friends I have not seen for nine years. We have had a lot to catch up on and it is very late. Tomorrow will be another busy day with lots of sights to see.

The weather has been great and Japan is quite a bit warmer than Korea. In fact, it has been unusually warm for this time of year and we have picked the right time to see the best colours of the leaves. Most of the leaves in Korea have already fallen off the trees.

Perhaps the most frustrating thing about Japan is not being able to read anything or talk to anybody. I try to bumble through with what little Japanese I know but Miky just talks in English and gets better results. I guess the Japanese think that I can understand what they say whereas they are put on the backfoot when she speaks English to them and they have to try to communicate in English. Yu-Jin speaks English or Korean to people and animals.

Must get some shuteye.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Can't wait to see all the pics of the Autumn gardens. It is one of my favourite times of the year. Miky has the right idea. Make them speak your lingo.