Sunday, April 06, 2008

Spelling - Make Up Your Mind, People

I'm a bit of a pedant when it comes to spelling. Let it be known. And I prefer the British English dictionary. If you are writing "ax" then you only have two-thirds of the item. Australia uses the Pommie spelling. So it really bugs me to see a shop having an each-way bet. Are signwriters in this country half-wits or do they not question the customer?

CENTRE or CENTER - make up your mind, people.

I think these guys have used a little too much poetic licence. The Language Police should be paying them a visit. How do we expect the youth of today to formulate a consistent technique of spelling? Or am I reading too much into this?

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

We have slang in the US and Ebonics the African Americans created. Everyone still disagrees. Annette

Susan Ham said...

I agree with you. In the words of Henry Higgins, in My Fair Lady, this is 'the cold blooded murder of the English language'.

Anonymous said...

I was taught to spell it 'centre' not 'center'. The latter just looks strange!!