Wednesday, December 08, 2004

Literary Giant

On Sunday night Aunty (the ABC) ran a program called "My Favourite Book". Australians had had about a month to vote for their favourite book and the results were tallied. Actually, the show was very interesting and they had a panel of "experts" give their feelings about the books. I felt a bit like a literary giant as I have read two of the books in the top ten - The Hitchhikers Guide To The Galaxy and To Kill A Mockingbird. I've even read some of the book that finished at number three - The Bible. It has inspired me to read one or two of the other books in the top ten. We'll see what happens.

Frugal Bastard's Rain Guage

I have a very handy, and most importantly, cheap instrument for measuring rainfall. It's an old, orange plastic chair that sits in the backyard. If the seat is full of water then we've had bucketloads of rain. Half full means a decent rain and, well, you can work out the rest.

Acme

I watched the road runner and Wile E Coyote when I was a kid and noticed that Wile E always purchased Acme products. A couple of days ago I looked up Acme in the dictionary and was surprised by what I found as I thought that it stood for products that didn't work properly. This article explains it very well. Acme is a Greek word which means the point of excellence. The irony of this show, I did get "wily" Coyote, has just dawned on me. People were far more subtle with their cleverness a few decades ago.

No comments: