Saturday, April 24, 2010

Google Translate

Recently, whilst browsing my home town's ezyzine, the Border Chronicle, I noticed that they had a number of flags on the page. Imagine my surprise when clicking on the Korean flag and Google Translate translated the page into Korean. I'm not sure how good the translation is but it certainly looks to have become a very powerful tool. In the early days Google Translate was a bit clumsy but it now translates as you type - real-time translation is a possibility folks.

Ok, so I studied the html on the page. There has been about an hour and a half of tinkering to make it work on my blog. Just try choosing one of the flags underneath my profile pic if you wish to read the blog in one of 10 other languages including Korean, Japanese, German, French, Italian, Arabic, Spanish, Portuguese, Russian and simplified Chinese. If you wish to change to another language you'll have to hit the back bar for the previous page and choose another link. I'm not sure what the problem is but it's probably good enough for now.

Let me know what you think. I could send you a copy of the code if you'd like to use it.

P.S. My missus says it doesn't make much sense in Korean. Perhaps it is because I don't write in structured English and the translation tool isn't quite powerful enough to understand colloquialisms, etc.

2 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Buhahaha :-)
Is good man, tool!

No, really, it´s at times very well translated, the structure is a bit funny, but good enough to understand!

Hmmm, yes, send me the code, please :-)

Anonymous said...

Neat