Monday, September 18, 2006

My Wife and Billy Idol

We sat down as a family last night to watch Australian Idol. So far we've been pretty disappointed with this years talent. The theme was rock and I guess we were looking forward to that.

Lisa Mitchell came on and murdered Billy Idol's "Dancing with myself". I'm sure she only wanted to sing the sing because of the "Uh-oh-oh" lyrics that she does so annoyingly. She has talent but I can't stand her voice. It's like, aagh, oooh, I'm lost for words here. Her voice is so icky.

To prove my point that she murdered the song I took one of my CDs from the shelf - Billy Idol - Idol Songs - 11 of the best.
Billy Idol - Idol Songs (cover)
During the next commercial break I played Dancing with Myself. Miky was in agreeance that the song had been murdered. Then she went on to tell me that she loved the guitar riff. WTF? This, coming from a jaff and classical lover, took me completely by surprise. So, at each ensuing comercial break I played another song - Rebel Yell, Mony Mony and finally, one of his finest songs in my opinion, Don't Need a Gun. Yu-Jin was bouncing around like a rockstar idiot so I know how to switch him on.

I think the first time I heard Don't Need a Gun was at the cinema during the credits of a movie when I was in Ireland. Can't recall the name of the movie but the song captivated me. Billy Idol looks like a bit of a chump but he can sing some good songs.

Back to Idol, the Australian version. Not a lot of typical rock was sung but there were some great performances.

Bobby Flynn - mystifyingly good rendition of "Werewolves of London" - not rock though.
Chris Murphy - I didn't expect this man to have a rock 'n roll bone in his body but he was impressive.
Damien Leith - it wouldn't have mattered if he couldn't sing as "Creep" by Radiohead is one of my favourite songs. Outstanding.
Dean Geyer - needs to learn how to sing instead of just playing it up for the ladies.
Klancie Keough - too country for my likings. Come on girl, it's supposed to be rock.
Lavina Williams - great version of one of the toughtest bands to cover - Evanescence.
Jessica Mauboy - great, this girl can sing, but still a little too Whitney-esque for my liking.
Ricky Muscat - a bit uninspiring with "Take me out" by Franz Ferdinand.
Mutto - great voice. Lovely singer. He'll go far.
Reigan Derry - this girl has special talent but needs to be working it not just going along with it. She sang a song I don't know but did it very well.
Lisa Mitchell - bye, bye.

It is funny how few of the contestants on Australian Idol were actually born in Australia. I guess that is all that this country is about though.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Please explain. What is Jaff music? I must have led a much more sheltered life than I realised.

Hammy said...

Whoops. That was a typo. It should have read "Jazz".

Anonymous said...

I did wonder. The F is not that close to the Zed!I like Jazz too, but not all kinds.