Saturday, July 26, 2008

Chance To Farewell Grandma

Tomorrow I fly to Adelaide for my Grandma's funeral which will be held on Monday. I'm not morbid or anything, well maybe a tad, but it is a chance to pay my respects to a lady I have great admiration and love for and I'm very much looking forward to it.

Come to think of it, I don't think I've ever been to a funeral before. I was going to my great uncle Wally's funeral when I was about eight years old but they wouldn't let us kids into the church and we had to wait in the car with another relative. Gee, I'm getting a bit old for firsts.

There should be a great many people at the church on Monday that I know and a lot more that I don't know. My Grandma knew a lot of people. And she was loved by a lot too. The plan is for the three grandsons (only three?), one son and two son-in-laws to be pall bearers. I was surprised that even though I have a huge number of relatives that there were only three grandsons.

I'd better remember to pack a handkerchief to wipe away the tears. I'll try my best to hold mine back but with so many women in the family it is bound to be gushing. And I don't blame - my Grandma was a wonderful person. Hopefully the weather holds out and everything goes according to plan.

On Tuesday Grandma will be buried in the small farming community of Mundulla next to her husband. It will be another large gathering no doubt and a luncheon has been organised for afterwards.

Farewell Grandma. Rest in peace.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

I hope it all went well. It is admirable of you to pay your last respects. Daphny