Tuesday, May 20, 2008

I'd Forget My Head If It Wasn't Screwed On

Honestly, sometimes I feel that I would forget my head if it wasn't screwed on. That's a term we use in English to describe people who would forget the most obvious things if they weren't already done for them. The only way you could forget something is if it was somehow removed from your being.

I'm a creature of habit. A place for everything and everything in its place. That's one of my mottoes. Keys, mobile phone and wallet are always kept in the one place. I don't have to go looking for anything and can even find things in the dark around my house because I know where they are.

Take yesterday for instance. I went to grab my necessaries before leaving for work and noticed that my wallet wasn't with my mobile and keys. "Ah," I thought, "I've left it on the table overnight. I'll get it on the way out the door." I then proceeded to walk through the house without the lights on and promptly forgot to collect my wallet. It was only when I reached the bus stop that I came to the realisation that I had no wallet. No wallet meant no bus ticket. No wallet meant no key to enter the building where I work. And I'd only reached the bus stop with a few minutes to spare before the last bus arrived so that I could get to work on time. Oh well, back home I trudged, collected my wallet and went back to the bus stop. At least my stupidity allowed me to exercise for an extra 20 minutes. I worked back to make up for the lost time but, honestly, if I even loosen the bolts in my head, just a little, I forget it altogether.

3 comments:

Susan Ham said...

It is such a relief to know that you are fallible like the rest of us.Phew!

Iris Flavia said...

It´s the same saying in german. We use screw or sew and oh, yes, I did wait often in front of the closed office door before our company got the keys to the customers´ place... always had a book with me.

Now I have office keys and since I have them on my car-keys bunch I´m really unlikely to forget them.
I would sure realize when going those 40 km by foot ;-)

Anonymous said...

It's called Alzheimer's ha ha See your Dr. Just kidding. Everyone makes mistakes just be thankful you got to work on time. It could have been worse. We got a huge ticket for a lie a jerk told. My day was worse. HAve a better day tommorow. Don't be so hard on yourself. Annette