Thursday, July 29, 2010

False Shoplifting Accusation Pays

I heard on the news this morning that a six year old Irish boy (five at the time of the incident) was falsely accused of stealing a bag of chips in a supermarket. His mother found him crying after the incident and even when she produced a receipt the manager refused to believe that he hadn't been shoplifting. The mother sued for assault, slander and wrongful imprisonment and the boy received a payout worth A$10,800.

Reminded me immediately of my experience as a kid of being wrongly accused of being a shoplifter. Pity that I received an apology otherwise I could have been set up for life.

1 comment:

Iris Flavia said...

Checkout chick!!! Apart from not being funny, the name itself sure is!
Sadly I can´t see the news on the US boy here (morning break, no facebook at work), gotta come back this arvo.
Hope imprisonment wasn´t for years ;-)
What do people think they do to kids??? Not funny!