Thursday, June 17, 2010

Thank You Spain For Making Feel Proud To Be Australian

Following the annihilation of Australia by Germany, 4-0 if you've managed to erase that from your memory, I have regained my pride in being Australian. And it's all down to Spain at the World Cup.

Let's recap, for those that joined us late:

Spain - Lost once in previous 48 international matches.
Spain - Played Switzerland 18 times in internationals for 15 wins and three draws. I.e. never lost to Switzerland in a full international.
Spain - World Cup tournament favourites with the bookies.
Spain - Has striker David Villa who was pre-tournament favourite to win the Golden Boot.
Spain - Averages three goals a game in the World Cup.
Spain - Has four world-class strikers and they were all on the pitch.
Switzerland - Probably doesn't have enough flat land to have a regulation size football pitch.

Final score. Spain 0 - Switzerland 1. Even the irony of the surname of Switzerland's scorer is delicious. His name is Fernandes.

And I would nearly have put my house on Spain winning. Thank you, Spain, for restoring my pride in being an Australian by putting on an even more hopeless display.

2 comments:

Iris Flavia said...

Fernandes!!!! :-)))
That must´ve been a real pain for Spain!

I think it´s really sad Nigeria missed out today.

Anonymous said...

Agreed