Sunday, June 06, 2010

Fishing Expedition

The Boy and I went fishing this arvo. Just nearby and under a bridge. I didn't enjoy the fishing as much as I had planned but that was mainly because The Boy was landing all these fish after I had cast his line and before I caught bait my line and cast for myself. We managed to catch 20 in two hours so it's a pity that none of them were edible. All of them were blowfish (pufferfish). It was almost like fishing in a barrel. Throw the line out and reel it in and you'd almost be sure of having something on the end. Stupid fish. If only all fishing was as easy as that.

The blowfish, from the family Tetraodontidae, the second-most venomous vertebrae in the world,
seem pretty easy to catch. They follow anything in the water and swim quite close to the shoreline. I didn't know they were that venomous but I was careful with them all the same. Little buggers managed to make me lose one or two hooks because I wasn't sticking my finger in their mouths to get them out. And when I opened the mouth with a knife, as the hook was just caught on a lip in many cases, they'd chomp on the knife with a horrible biting noise.


Cannibalistic blowfish by the shore.


Blowfish not doing much.


Releasing the blowfish once we'd finished fishing. See, we did catch a few.

The Boy caught a blowfish (pufferfish).

Second strangest catch of the afternoon. Four blowfish followed it in to the shore.

Strangest catch of the afternoon.

P.S. I'm pretty sure that this particular breed of blowfish isn't that deadly. He just belongs to that family, that's all.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Wow you to are great fishermen!! Way to go!!!

Iris Flavia said...

Yips, rather small... in Carnarvon some guys got a huge Blowfish at the Jetty, was quite some trouble to get rid of that one...