Sunday, December 21, 2008

Bird Rescue

I went to a local park with The Boy to play cricket yesterday. Afterwards we noticed a bird, I think it is from the cuckoo family, that was just hopping about. He was unable to fly and we could approach him very closely. Both of his wings appeared damaged. Yu-Jin thought that we should take him home to look after him as I thought that a cat would surely eat him as he was unable to get to a tree to roost.

I was able to grab him and we took him home. There was a box and we had some hay for the rabbit. I made him drink some water and we had some seeds that he could eat if he felt like it. Later in the day I even dug up some of the garden looking for worms. I found four worms and even when I put them in his mouth he wasn't interested in eating. Poor little fella just sat there. It was strange to be able to pat a wild bird and he didn't try to peck you.

Half an hour later Yu-Jin went to check on him and reported that he was dead. Sad to say but he was right. We buried him in the back yard and Yu-Jin wrote his name on a brick to place on top of the grave. He is very much saddened by the death of this bird and I'm glad to see that he has some compassion for animals.

Little birdie that we rescued.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Bless your heart. What a wonderful thing to do. You will be rewarded. One day someone will save all of you. Annette

Iris Flavia said...

Poor birdie...