Friday, December 09, 2011

Melbourne-Tassie Holiday 2011 Day 8

Both of us had had a comfortable nights sleep. Our room was very nice and I'd certainly recommend the accommodation. Eula, one of the proprietors, served a hot breakfast at about five past eight which we enjoyed very much, along with one of The Boy's socks, which had become lost whilst doing the washing. Chris, her partner, mentioned that the Blowhole was worth a look and Eula said the high tide was at 6:30 that morning.

Down at the Blowhole it started to rain every time I had the umbrella but stopped when The Boy took hold of it. And the Blowhole was on song. We enjoyed our time there.

Headed down the road to Triabunna, as we'd seen a sign for fresh fish, and popped into the info centre for a chat - about the pronunciation of the town's name, ghosts, fish and chips, etc. Ordered fish and chips from the van across the road and walked, in the rain, past Dead Isle, the first cemetery, whilst we waited. Ate lunch and while The Boy was finishing his I drove around town looking at Cusick Cottage, Cuff's Cottage, St Anne's Church and the cemetery. In the town's cemetery I noticed Davey Jones who was a boat builder.

Bought some food from IGA and even got them to wash the carrots. Looked at the Old Barracks and Triabunna House. Back on the road and we visited St John the Baptist Church in Buckland with its 14th century stained glass window. On to Port Arthur. Stopped at Pirate Bay (Tasman Lookout) and the Tessellated Pavement before going to Eaglehawk Bay and the Dog Line.

Into Port Arthur and we stopped at Tasman Island Adventure Cruises to discuss a Tasman Island cruise and all the other tourist activities in the area. Practically next door was the Port Arthur Historic Site and we visited for 45 minutes. So much to see and do. Bought Ghost Tour tickets for 9pm. Had a good look around in that time.

Found our hotel in Nubeena, 10 kms away, and Susan Ellis, the proprietor, upgraded our room as she said they weren't busy. The Boy watched a movie, Garfield, before we headed to The Tavern which Susan had booked for us for a roast pork dinner. Had half an hour to kill after the meal so we played darts which was good fun. It started to rain at 8:30. The ghost tour started at nine. Talk about creepy stories and buildings. We got quite wet but really enjoyed ourselves although The Boy wanted to sleep with me. Took a few photos but didn't capture anything out of the ordinary. Pity. Some scary moments though.

Melbourne-Tassie Holiday 2011 Photo Album No.2 - Photos 1-60.

No comments: